Howdenshire History

History of Boothferry Road, Goole

This is an attempt to build a picture of the changing face of Boothferry Road. Information has come from several sources including census pages, trade directories and almanacs, but in particular from the members of the Thursday morning WEA Goole local history class. Initially the information covers the shops between the clock tower (itself erected in 1927, although dated 1926!) and the railway crossing.

Numbering is difficult as much of Boothferry Road was built or considerably altered in the twentieth century and several shops moved premises up and down the road.

Please do get in touch if you have any corrections or further information you would like to share.

After the closure of Woolworths I have added the report of its opening in 1933.

NB. Please visit the old photographs pages to see many old photographs of Goole and the surrounding area.



Market Hall
The present hall was opened in 1896 to replace an earlier structure which burned down in 1891.


Cinema Palace
The Cinema Palace opened on November 20th 1914. Mr Grayson was the manager. It was sold in 1920 to a group of businessmen including Wallace Rockett. Later managers were Mr Wilmot and Mr Harper who married Mr Rockett's sister Olive. He was an ex-police inspector and stopped the picture if there was too much noise from the audience. The projectionist was called Carter. Edgar Buttle was the organist. Basil Falkingham, who was possibly Olive's son-in-law, was in the orchestra which preceded the organ.
There was a sweet shop built into front of the cinema.


Gas showroom


Arthur Read, jeweller
His Boothferry Rd shop moved here after the war.


Fine Fare/Shoppers Paradise
This was probably Goole's first supermarket. Everything was stacked in boxes from which you helped yourself.


Nat West Bank
This used to be Anglesey House, built in 1888 for Dr Robert Blair. It stood originally on its own until the Goole Times building was erected in 1894. Dr Blair, who was Scottish, died in 1909 and part of the house became the National Provincial Bank. A side entrance gave access to the surgery of Dr Cass and later to Drs Cretney. There used to be a hut where you went for prescriptions.
From 1972 it became entirely the Nat West.


Number 15 (now travel agency)
Built 1897.
For many years this was occupied by Fred Huggins, ironmonger. Fred's son Norton Huggins was a plumber. This was the only place in Goole in the 1920s where you could buy fireworks for Bonfire night.
Later it was White and Carters' pet shop, then Woodcock travel.


Boothferry Road, Goole, with Huggin's shop, Rocketts and Goole Times

This is Boothferry Road in 1926 when Goole celebrated its centenary. Hugggins' shop is on the extreme right with Rocketts and the Goole Times further along. George Bell's advertisement is prominent on the end of the original Wesleyan Manse.

Number 17 (now mobile phones?)
Built 1897.
In the 1930s this was Rockett's, selling coats and gowns. Mrs Olive Harper [Mr Rockett's sister] kept Rockett's. She sat on a chair and stared at you. If you asked for something out of the window you felt you had to buy it.
Later the shop was Peggy's baby and women’s wear run by Mrs Cowling, then Michael's opticians.
You went down the side of No.17 and then upstairs to get to J A Curran, electrical [17a]. Mr Curran was the first manager of YEB but then left and went into business on his own.


Number 19 Cancer Research (formerly Goole Times)
1894 Goole Times buildings erected with printing works behind.
It was originally numbered as number 15 but renumbered [sometime before 1911] after the present numbers 15 and 17 were built.
Remembered workers there were Mr and Mrs Harry [in the shop], Charlie Ayre, Mr Ernest Knott, Margaret Pinder, Eva Kirby in bookbinding, Margaret Woodhead, Mary White and editor Ernest Butler.


Numbers 21 to 25
The property next to the Goole Times was for many years a cafe. Clarksons were the occupiers in 1908. They were at 32 Sotheron St and at Burlington Crescent. They had a bakehouse but later advertised as Clarkson’s Temperance Hotel on Boothferry Rd.
It was described as 'Refreshment rooms' in an early 20th century picture and other occupants were Newell and Tasker.
Then it became the Lyceum cafe, run by Riches. Jenny ?Macken worked there. You could get a pot of tea and a toasted teacake for 2d.
Riches became George L Wright, electrical. Mr Wright came from Gledhills. He later went into partnership with a Mr Jackson. Mr Jackson had only one arm, having lost the other whilst working as a joiner at the YEB.
The shop later became the YEB showrooms.
There was a hairdressers above.


Number 27 (now Phones 4U)
On early pictures and in 1908 de Cobain's cycle shop was next to the refreshment rooms/cafe.
Albert de Cobain was the eldest son of the vicar of Swinefleet and although he too was destined for the church, he preferred bicycles and cars.
Sometime in the early 1930s Mr Philip Seltzer took the shop, selling mainly leather goods. Mr Seltzer sold sports goods, handbags, satchels etc. He also sold footballs, tennis balls and would re-string tennis rackets. He travelled from Hull every day on the train.
When the shop lease ran out in the 1970s he moved into Northern Clothing.
Assistants were Margery Busfield, Mr Birks.
Numbers 27 and 29 were possibly demolished and rebuilt.
Occupied in 2006 as Card Fair.


Number 29 (was Card Fair, now Phones 4U)
1908 George Marritt's boot and shoe shop
1911-21 this was the Yorkshire Penny Bank until it moved to new premises in Market Square
1922 Mary Barraclough confectioner
1930s Elite tobacconist and confectioners 'Bon Bon shop' [W and M Hepworth]
1940 Elite, G. W. Glentworth, tobacconist, 29 Boothferry Road & 73 Pasture Road
?Miss Depledge had a sweet shop here. Later she moved to the kiosk on the station




Numbers 31 and 33
This was originally one house, built as the Wesleyan Manse.
1901 census shows James Thompson, grocer, born Halifax [his son Arthur was a baker too].
In 1907 it was still James Thompson's grocers and bread bakers. Mr Thompson was uncle to Harry Hackforth and had his bakehouse across the road in Young's yard.
By the early 1920s it had become George Bell [grocer, who sold baking powder, according to the big advert on the gable end of his shop].
By 1926 it was Harry Boom's, outfitter.
Harry Boom lived on Hook Road. The chief shop asssistant was Tony Marshall. Also Rena Woodhouse worked there. They supplied Goole Grammar School uniforms.
Upstairs was the Unemployment Office and Pearl Assurance.
The premises were later converted into two shops between the alley and Woolworth's.
Number 31 became first the Halifax [Mr Crowther was manager] and is now Bradford and Bingley.
The second shop [number 33] became Greenwoods.


Woolworth's (numbers 35-39)
Before Woolworth's there was a house which incorporated a pastry shop on the site. Woolworth's was purpose-built and opened on 22nd July 1933.

The Goole Times of July 21st reported that:

'After fourteen weeks of record hustle the next Goole store of Messrs. F. W. Woolworth and Co. is now ready for opening to-morrow at 9 a.m. To-day the store will be open from 2.30 p.m. to give the public an opportunity to inspect the goods. Fourteen weeks ago work was begun on the demolition of property on the site and actually work on the building did not commence until eleven weeks ago. By having the store completed in such a short time the builders have accomplished a record for the town. The store has been constructed on the most modern lines, with the latest lighting effects, and attention has been paid for the comfort of shoppers by providing extra wide aisles to avoid conjestion.{sic} Over 95 per cent. of the goods sold in the store are of British manufacture and for one's sixpence a wonderful range is presented. The storerooms on the second floor have been built on hygienic lines, while attention has been paid to the comfort of the staff, 35 members of which are local girls. Cloakrooms, centrally heated, have been provided for them, and there is a spacious dining and rest room.'

It was a 3d and 6d store and crowds flocked in from all around the area when it opened. It was updated in 1984.
Remembered staff were Maisie O'Donnell, Marion Webster, Dot Ward, Eileen Bovill, Sheila Burton.
Mr Wilburn was the first manager. He married Miss Kitchen.


Number 41
Zerny's. Last premises before alleyway.
It could previously have been Holroyd cleaners.
In 1907 there were no more shops between here and the station. There was however a private house which stood back, occupied by the Horsley family and later by J Burniston, solicitor.


Number 43
Crest jeweller


Number 45
Coomes footwear


Number 47
Fruit and veg

Another alleyway
This area is now rebuilt
The buildings here were originally wood.


Numbers 49-51
Memory Lane


Number 53
Prestons, a cheap goods shop. A man came every day from Leeds.


Number 55
Outrigger clothes


Number 57
Famous Army Stores [last shop before station yard]
Possibly was formerly Bata shoes. You could get nylons there in the war.

Numbers are confusing but in 1937ish somewhere were:
Hardcastle Brook cycle agents
Mrs Hilda Harrison, ladies' outfitter
Ascot gowns
Mrs Crapper
Clifton jewellers
Philip Richardson
Kettering & Leicester boot co
H & C Sargentson, drapers
Somewhere too was Lep travel; almost opposite Lep offices in Belgravia
Bensons shoes


Now onto Boothferry Road - the even numbers
N.B. The numbering begins over near the George IV pub.


Number 2
1928 Frances Wood
1937 Miss Tromans


Numbers 4-8 (George IV, later Old George)
1908 G Kent
1928 G Heap


Number 10
1908 C Appleyard
1928 G F and Christiana Appleyard
1937 Frank Crapper, butcher


Number 12
1908 Miss Gleadow
1937 Miss Gleadow


Number 14
1928 W Blyth
1937 Redford, hair & Evans tobacco


Number ?16/16a
1937 Fred Gleadow
Mr Gleadow worked in the bank then went to work in the shop. Taskers worked there too.


St John's Buildings [over the road]
In 1859 the vicarage was built on the corner of Boothferry Rd and Stanhope St. Later a new vicarage was built on Hook Road and on May 3rd 1890 a new block of buildings, built around the old vicarage, was opened - this block was to be known as St John's Buildings.


Number ?16 /16a
The first occupier of this shop was W Hall, cash draper
It was by 1908 run by Turpin Brothers, also as a drapers'
The corner was known for years as 'Reno Valet corner' [see the picture below]
Reno Valet was begun by James Lock of Grimsby in 1923. Later there were several more branches. Here you went to have your suits cleaned and pressed and shirts and collars starched. 'Seagull' Albert Smith came from Grimsby to run the Goole branch. It was also run by Alf Chappell. Arthur Read's wife used to work there behind the counter. Seagull Smith later opened 'Val' cleaners down Pasture Rd. Named after his ?wife/daughter
Premises were later Kitwoods bakery.


old photo of Reno Valet corner, Boothferry Road, Goole, Yorkshire


Number 18
1937 Maynards, sweet shop


Number 20 (Heart Foundation)
In 1937 this was Hepworths, part of a chain. The shop was managed by Mr Caldicott. Also Mrs Coupland worked there.
The premises were later Bedford and Baines paints etc.


Number 22
In early pictures and possibly in 1908 Freeman Hardy and Willis, shoe shop, was here
Other pictures show W Spencer hairdresser next to Meadow dairy
In 1937 it was the Meadow dairy
It always smelled of cheese. Later DER radio rental.


Number 24
1908 Blackburn and Co, drapers
1937 Blackburn
Later Newton and Newton shoes


old photo of Boothferry Road, Goole, Yorkshire, showing St. John's buildings and Blackburn's


Above is Boothferry Road showing St John's Buildings. Blackburn's is the shop with the semi-circular window.


Number 26 (from 1978, Nationwide)
Wilkinson and Heald, wholesale grocers and provision merchants. They opened there in 1891 but had other large premises in Bridge street.
1891 census Swinefleet Rd - Joseph Wilkinson, grocer, 26 born Doncaster and wife Caroline, born Leeds and daughter Gertrude. Living with them was Caroline's brother, 16 year old Harry Heald.
1901 Wilkinson family living on Boothferry Road [Clifton Gardens end]
1917 Robert George Leggott [shown on early photo]
By 1922 Harry Hackforth's, grocer's and cafe
Harry was born in Goole, the son of John and Mary Hackforth who had originally run a grocer's shop in Bridge St. John had died by 1891 but Mary was by then running a grocer's in Boothferry Road.
Late 1920s/30s staff at Hackforth's were Mr Duck [baker] assisted by Annie Mortimer and Dora Mapplebeck.
Doris Ayre [cook]
Mary Branford [kitchen help and waitress], May Crooke and Annie Grassby [waitresses]
Bob Walker, Arthur Thompson, Ivy Hinsley and Miss Worswick [grocery counter]
Nelly Worswick, Bertha Lockwood, Ethel Hutchinson and Lily Mortimer [confectionery counter]
George Ward [grocery boy]
Mr Hackforth, Miss Humphries Stella Appleyard [in the office]
One memory is that when there were railway horses Jim Paterson drove one which always stopped at back of Hackforth's for a bun.


Number 28
Confusingly Freeman Hardy and Willis seems to have been at No.26 for a time just after the First World War but later seems to have moved to number 28.
1928 Freeman Hardy and Willis
Manager Mr York. Mary Wood worked there.


Number 30
1937 Liptons
Up to 1970s, then Bakers household goods etc


Number 32
1928 T B Chadwick
1937 Taylors drug
Known later as Timothy Whites and Taylors, part of a chain later bought out by Boots
Mr Jowett, manager. Taken over by Boots also at no 34.


Number 34
1928 J Crabtree


Numbers 36 and 38
1937 Cash boot co
Also at 38. Public Benefit boots. Miss Dews.


Number 40
1937 Home & Colonial
Now coffee bar
Mr Brooksbanks worked there. He wore a pince nez and a wing collar.


Number 42
1928 S Vickers
1930 Goole Funeral carriage co
1937 M& S Bazaar [1937]


Number 44 (Iceland)
1937 M&S Bazaar
Possibly M&S was previously further up the road [? Liptons]. then a new shop was built 1936/7. It was said to have been built on land owned by Mr Hartmann. After his death he left everything to his ?nephew Ferdinand Ellicott. When the lease ran out M&S left Goole. Mr Vick was the manager and then in the war Mrs Harrison.


Number 46
Archway to houses and back of customs offices


Number 48
as 46


Number 50
1906 Althams tea and jam
Currys were there in 1920s. Currys made their own brand of bike. Mr Wiseman was manager.
1937 Claude Ingleby printer was over top of Currys.


Numbers 52 and 54
1906 Holroyds' Maypole dairy
Still Maypole in 1937
Mr Gale was the manager [a fussy man]. If you bought butter they used butter pats. Joyce Cross worked there.


Number 56
1906 Jas Nelson and sons
Dewhurst, butchers in 1937


Number 58 (?Tony's textiles)
1906 Mrs Heap
Boots [1937] Mr Dinwhiddy manager. Miss Dorothy Patterson assistant
[Bowles the dentist on the corner of Belgravia]


Number 60 (Halifax)
1906 J Huntington
1928 LEP Transport [upstairs/Belgravia]. During the war LEP was in charge of importing crated trucks as part of the lend/lease scheme and unpacking and assembling them. Walter Studer was in charge at this time and had a Ford V8. It was he who brought all the work to Goole, assembling the army trucks in the dock side sheds in South Street, Old Goole. The packing cases were first stored on Western Road in Goole and were then taken to South Street. Walter Studer's son, Ronnie, joined LEP Transport after the war.

1930s Burtons shop. First manager was Taffy Evans. Killed in RAF. Sam Thompson served his time in Burton's, part in factory, part in the shop.


Number 62 Railway Tavern (now Dorothy Perkins)
Built by Charlie Holmes as a pub for the workers on the new railway
1881 Charles Holmes, 24, b Goole; wife Fanny, b Carlton and daughter Mary Ann and son Charles at 'Railway hotel'. He was described as beerhouse keeper.
1899 Kate Wiseman of the Railway Tavern beerhouse applied for a full licence
1908 J W Watson
1928 Railway Tavern, John Gilbert Watson 'Jack'
Railway Tavern was known as Jack Watson’s
1940s L Marshall
1950s Charlie Hailstone, landlord in 1950s. Played for Goole Town before the war. Made a good hangover cure.


Number 64
1928 J Taylor
1937 Hull Savings
Hull Savings was a very small shop. Manager Mr Franklin. Len Waller was manager when it moved to new premises after the war.


Numbers 66 and 66a
1928 66 Holders pianos
1928 66a Harriet Hardwick & Minnie Madge
1937 Biller, taxes
This was where the Silver Library was. Some names: Mrs Dobson, Mary Jackson, Maisie Kirby, ?Margaret - went to be a ballet dancer.
There were 3 girls. You paid 2d a book. Went there because bit frightened of Uriah Wood at the public library and also the Silver Library got all the newest books.
Next to Silver Library was archway to Thompson's garage. Vauxhalls.
Became DER


Number 68
1937 C Southcott
Next to archway was sweetshop. Southcotts then Mrs Wilcox


Number 70
The North Eastern was built by Mr Turgoose after he had seen the popularity of the Railway Tavern. It was later kept by his son and daughter in law, Mr and Mrs Sylvester.

1877 John Silvester NE hotel
1881 North Eastern hotel. Robert Varley and wife.
[next door in Ann's Villa was Mrs Ann Turgoose, widow, b Stainforth, 65]
1881 at 1 Mariner's Terrace was Patrick Dougherty, 39, b Airmyn, potato merchant; wife Olive, 33, b Stainforth and 1 year old daughter Ann Turgoose Dougherty.
1908 P Dougherty NE hotel
1928 North Eastern, B Lamb
Before war was Edwards
1950s Jock Macauley
Then 1970s was Rogers - Jackdaw Club.


old photo of North Eastern hotel, Boothferry Road, Goole, Yorkshire

This early picture of the North Eastern appeared in the Goole Times sometime in the 1970s. It was handed to the then manager, Mr H A Rodgers, by a customer and shows the hotel before the alterations/extensions of the 1930s.

The sign over the door reads 'William Ross Cattanach, licensed to sell British and foreign spirituous liquors, ale, porter and tobacco'.

Another notice reads 'Commercial hotel, refreshment and dining rooms. Dinners daily, four courses 2s 6d. Luncheons, teas and suppers for any number on the shortest notice.'

The photo was taken by Goole photographer William Westoby, who was taking pictures in Goole in the 1880s/90s.


Number 72


Number 74
1928 T H Scott
Just before the station was a house on the left where the Misses Watson lived. Subway was behind.

  Home   |   Family Research   |   Old Photos   |   Local History Books   |   My Local History Blog   |   Contact  
  Goole History   |   Howden History   |   Eastrington History   |   Snaith & Area   |   Local Villages   |   Yorkshire Emigrants  
Copyright © Amy Butler & Susan Butler 2014. All Rights Reserved.